Saturday, September 8, 2012

Volcanic coffee

Ever had volcanic coffee?   The term is used to describe coffee made from active volcanic soils.   Today I wanted a jolt to keep moving despite the rain.  I tried out Dean's Beans "Ring of Fire" coffee.  For those who are unfamiliar, the Pacific Ocean's Ring of Fire refers to a ring of active volcanoes that are known not only for their eruptions but a ring of earthquake activity.  From the name of the coffee, I was expecting something bold and earthy, and not over-roasted. 


The Ring of Fire coffee is labeled as a blend of coffee beans from Indonesia, Timor, and Papua-New Guinea.  The land of Timor, I recalled from college history class, is an island people who had gone through a lot of political upheaval in the last couple of decades.  I have to admit, I was a bit intrigued. I don't think I've come across Timorean coffee before, ever!  Usually my coffee hails from the usual places of Colombia or Sumatra (Indonesia). 

  Sumatran coffee region by Jetstar Magazine

Had they made peace over a cup of coffee?  In answer to my question, the Dean's Beans website had an article describing what the conditions in Timor were like these days.

Back to the brew.   The coffee beans were very finely ground.  Upon opening the package, I was very pleased with this.  Taking a whiff, I had a hunch of what it would taste like and I was mostly right.  For anyone who has tried the coffee blends at Whole Foods grocery in the mornings, this coffee is a less-acidic and more palatable cousin.  It is more smooth than the Starbucks or Whole Foods varietals.  Still, there is plenty of acidic punch.  Be sure to monitor intake accordingly!  All in all, I am happy with the purchase.  I will probably purchase a second light variety of coffee to keep on hand for fans of light roasts while I am making my way through this batch in the fall.  The bold flavors of the Ring of Fire would work nicely with cinnamon or cardamom sprinkled in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts