Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reminiscing. A book review and wine review.

Last week I reminisced on last summer.  I recalled trips to the shore with the salty seabreeze hitting my face; and long hours working on the yard in the hot sun when the air was completely still.  Midsummer I set up the dinner table many times for dinner al fresco with family and friends.  At summer's end I sat on the porch with a glass of wine in hand and enjoyed the rewards of my garden.  The mood of reminiscence explains my book and wine choices for last week.   Salud to last year!

Book Review of A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff (c) 2010.

This was a fun romp through London, England and Avignon, France in the story of a thirtysomething single woman who is "finding herself" in terms of career, family relationships and romance.  Perfect read for fans of "In Style Magazine" and Rachel Zoe because the book mentions a lot of fancy clothing brands as part of the main character's profession.   This was a fun and easy pageturner with a story intertwined about France during WWII.  The visuals in the book were pleasing.  I would easily read another novel by the author who has racked up quite the collection of titles.

Rochemaure, France, a place in the book.  Photo from Panoramio

Vintage USA prom gown.  Sideline stories in the book A Vintage Affair revolve around three women who purchase 1950's prom gowns: one green, one yellow, and one pink.   

Yellow gown for sale on UK Vintage Fashion Guild
Pinterest board: 1950's prom dresses
Rococo Vintage on Etsy - Recently sold emerald green dress

The book taps into classic movies too.  Greta Garbo's first talking appearance in a movie was referenced in A Vintage Affair.  Her first words: "Gimme a Whiskey."  It comes from the movie Anna Christie.


Wine Review of 2008 Ser Lapo, Chianti Classico, Riserva by Mazzei

It's not whiskey, it's wine!   Ser Lapo is a Chianti for the refined palate.  The finish is very clean and the body has more tannins when compared to regular chiantis.  All in all:  very fresh and VERY Italian.  To me, it tasted of lemon, black cherry, and blackberry.  I could see it going with minted lamb very well.  This glass is suited for finer dining.  But, I have to tell you, it tastes completely wonderful with sweet and sour chicken takeout!

Make at home recipe for "Sweet and sour chicken" from Made in Melissa's Kitchen

 Healthy flavorful recipe for minted lamb chops by Brake


The price online to buy Ser Lapo Chianti from the state stores is quoted at $40 - on SALE - but I can tell you that I paid MUCH, much less.  My bill was in the $15 to $20 range!!  Get this one while it stays on the shelves at PA stores!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts