Thursday, February 2, 2012

Organize Gift Wrapping in a Central Station

One of my greatest pleasures is giving a gift to someone else.  The joy of giving is an admirable quality that many women share.  The amount of closet, basement and attic space dedicated to such estimable efforts is also a common point of contention within families.  My solution to the dilemma is a spare console table tucked within a walk-in closet where there is floor-space to spare.  I have my very own Gift Wrapping Central Station.

My table is from IKEA, similar to the NORDEN Sideboard at $149 USD
My Gift Wrapping Central Station is about five years old now.  It makes last-minute wrapping a cinch because gift bags are sorted by size and theme, greeting cards are organized by theme, and it's only a quick reach of the hand to attach bows, ribbons, or grab for some tissue paper.  Those pesky little Christmas gift tags are easy to find in a big Ziplock bag.  Even the sticky bows are organized:  one bag for Christmas colors, and another for multi.  After organizing all of my gift wrapping goods, I found room to spare to store floral foam and related flower-arranging supplies; and spare cloth remnants and ribbons.

Not pictured here is my second secret weapon to the Gift Wrapping Central Station:  my organized Shipping supplies.  Adjacent to Central Station is a plastic tub full holding folded boxes of all sizes and shapes arranged from biggest to smallest.  In the back, the "big box" section, are one-rate priority shipping boxes from the USPS.  Spare jewelry boxes fill the "tiny box" section.  Priority shipping rates are posted on the wall for handy reference.  Packing materials like "air pouches" and bubble wrap are stashed nearby.  Essentially I can wrap, label, and pack a gift for shipping in the same place.  From my home computer, I can then print out shipping labels.

The Gift Wrapping Central Station has eliminated my habit of keeping too many empty boxes, spare rolls of gift wrap, and gift bags waiting to be re-used.  If my gift wrapping materials do not fit in the allocated space, I make decisions about what to toss and what to keep.  I find it is easier to let go of old unused stuff when I can see the old things sitting next to shiny new spare materials of the same type.  My recycle bin stays full and my pocketbook stays full too, because I no longer need to run to the store in a hurry to shell out big bucks for gift wrap or gift bags.  My gift wrapping time is cut by more than half.  I spend more time now on congratulating my gift recipients on their accomplishments in person than I do wrapping their gifts, and, I feel, that is how it should be: Joy shared with the important people in our lives , rather than a lot of time spent in an attic, basement or closet!

Happy gift-giving this 2012!
Gardentina

Today's Blog Parties:  Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage; and Crafty Soiree at Katie's Nesting Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts